26 February, 2010

The Quest for Forgiveness

Hypocrisy is an everyman word--I'm aware. You open the dictionary and my picture is there. So is yours. That doesn't make it any easier to look in the mirror. It never completely absolves you of the guilt.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I guess that must be true. Because the way I saw this turning out and the way it actually happened are two rather different things, and though I'm forgiven, I'm still wracked with shame.

Life is full of tough battles and choices and you never know how you're going to react to a situation until you are in someone else's shoes; oversized or pinching as they may be. Don't assume yourself to be better. Wait until you're a mile away and curse those untied sneakers. Turns out you were wrong the whole time and it is you who is the worse person. Isn't irony cruel?

Thank God for hope--literally. The easy part of forgiveness is accepting it, the tricky part is forgetting it. Slate clean, move on. Don't obsess over what's been wiped off the dry erase board. There's no need to rewrite it. It's done. Finito.

Finished.

2 comments: